Friday, April 13, 2007

www.teachers.tv

I just found another great resource for beginning teachers -- teachers.tv

This website has a number of videos, which discuss everything from ways to inspire students to behaviour management. What I have found most helpful are the Teaching with John Bayley programs. He works with other teachers to help them improve their classroom technique.

http://www.teachers.tv/teachingwithbayley

One of the Bayley videos shows a teacher who typically said things like, “Could you maybe start to settle down please.” Bayley asked her if she was asking or telling? If you want them to be quiet, tell them to be quiet and expect them to obey.

I also like this advice: when dealing with a disruptive student move into their personal zone and say quitely: "When you do (x behaviour), it throws me off my mark and I am worried that other students can not learn."

A lot of Bayleys advice is very simple yet effective. Bayley is like the supernanny of the teaching world!

No comments: