Friday, April 20, 2007

The Practicum -- a checklist

Yet another checklist! This one is very important and I will be up-dating it when I think of my questions to add.

Questions to ask my supervising teacher:

1. Find out the subjects, classes and levels will I be teaching (ask for a timetable)

2. Ask for a copy of the unit plan.

3. Do they have a preferred lesson plan layout?

4. Do they have a list of the students grades/marks or do they have any examples of students work -- to establish their learning ability, what they need to improve etc. Are there any students with special needs or learning difficulties?

5. Organise a time to meet once a week to go over lesson plans etc. Do they have a preferred format for a daily/weekly log or journal?

6. The extent that I am allowed to photocopy. What are the procedures?

7. To what extent do I have access to OHP, computers, the internet, TV (DVD and VCR players), access to the library and access to stationary?

8. Do I have access to the online learning?

9. Ask what expectations they have of me.

Outline what the Supervising Teaher can expect from myself:

1. hardworking, organised and professional

2. I will endeavour to have an outline of my Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday lesson plans on the Fridays and the lesson plans for the Thursday and Friday on Mondays (I hope that makes sense). Is email ok?

3. I am here to learn in any and everyway. If they need help for anything at all. I would love to be involved in any extra curricula activities etc.

4. Give the teacher a note with my name, address, email address and phone number

5. Outline my main goal -- to improve and develop my teaching style. To improve my weaknesses and strengthen my strengths.

Important information to get from the school:

1. General school policies and procedures

2. Fire drill and lock down procedures

3. Behaviour management policy

4. School Map and out of bounds areas

During Observation WeeK:

1. Learn students names as soon as possible

2. Learn classroom routines

3. Follow the routines the teacher has already established

No comments: