Sunday, June 3, 2007

Week 3: Reflection

This is a little late but here are some of my notes from week 3:


* Watching Videos: I played a documentary for my year 9 SOSE class although it was really interesting and fit the topic perfectly. It was way too long for their attention span (it was 40 minutes). I realise now that I should have stop and discussed sections of the video rather than watching it straight through to the end.

* I realise that displaying data is interesting and different ways is great for improving students understanding of a topic. For example, in my SOSE class I created a concept map "Threats to the Great Barrier Reef" and then displayed the data again using a cause and effect table.

* During week 3 I really worked on repeating what the students said in response to my questioning as to state the correct answer and so the rest of the class understands what the correct answer was.

* I really need to work on my instructions and directions to make them as clear and concise as possible.

* I also need to work on my behaviour management with my year 9 class. During week 4 I will implement two new classroom rule (6 & 7):

1. Always be prepared for class.

2. Be on time.

3. Respect one another and everyone’s personal belongings.

4. Raise your hand if you have a question or want to share something.

5. Listen to the designated speaker.

6. No walking around the classroom without permission

7. If you break any of these rules or misbehave in class your name will go on the board (this is your warning).

** If you continue to misbehave you will get a cross next to your name. Each cross is a 5 minute detention.
**You can get your name off the board through good behaviour.
**Five crosses next to your name and you will be sent to the HOD

* I sat in on one the HOD's classes and got some great behaviour management ideas. Simple things such as: "Eyes up pens down" "Stop what you are doing, pens down, look at me" and the names on the blackboard.

No comments: